This year's Balsa Man is all about focusing on the community that is forged around tiny art. In so doing, we are pushing hard to promote the Balsa Regionals (like the Paul Balsa Bunyan Man in MN) that have begun to sprung up in other areas of the country. Last year, literally dozens of desert campers were thrilled by the Black Rock Desert Balsa Regional. This NV regional was lead by the talented Kristen Ankiewicz who expressed how overjoyed the participants were to have something to do for the hour or so that it lasted, in the otherwise empty and dull Black Rock Desert.
This year Kristen is stepping down as regional lead and we are looking to for some fabulous person to lead this year's Black Rock Balsa Regional!
Balsa Regional Lead Responsibilities
- Build the central Balsa sculpture for the regional (does not have to be anything like the Balsa Man; last year's was a large Balsa Head made out of matches.)
- Encourage other desert campers to make their own Tiny Art and participant at the event.
- Optionally host a tiny art build party for tiny artists making tiny art for the regional.
- Secure an area for the regional and manage tiny art placement prior to the burn.
- Run the Balsa Burn itself—remember it's a tiny burn so it shouldn't last more than an hour or so.
Balsa Regional Lead Perks
- A tiny art grant from BPAF to be used for materials expenses for building the central figure of the Balsa Regional.
- A Balsa Man 2010 patch to wear with pride.
- A pack of Balsa Man stickers to give to volunteers and participants who create tiny art for the Balsa Regional.
- Tiny sense of satisfaction
Starting Your Own Balsa Regional
Of course, Balsa Man Org. encourages tiny art enthusiasts to start their own Balsa Regional no matter where they live! If you are interested in leading a regional in another part of the country or the world we'd love to hear from you! Please contact our regional organizer at email@example.com.